This year-round position will be 3/4 or full time, depending on the chosen candidate’s qualifications and experience. Benefits include paid holidays, vacation time, and personal days; as well as a health stipend. Salary commensurate with experience.
Location: The position is based in Deer Isle, Maine. This is a small, rural, island community (winter pop. 3,000) with a traditional natural resource-based economy focused on recreational tourism and the fishing industry.
The Island Heritage Trust (IHT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit land trust dedicated to conservation that protects significant open space, scenic areas, wildlife habitats, natural resources, and historic and cultural features that offer public and economic benefit and are essential to the character of the Deer Isle area. IHT is a membership-based organization, with an engaged donor base of more than 700 supporters and strong relationships with numerous grantmaking organizations. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about land conservation and who is experienced with cultivating donor relations. Working with and under the supervision of the Executive Director (ED), and collaborating closely with IHT’s committees, staff, trustees and volunteers the Development Associate (DA) helps develop and manage IHT’s fundraising activities, cultivates donors, and co-manages IHT’s outreach communications. This position which will require some work on weekends, holidays, and during non-traditional hours. The DA is expected to reside within commuting distance of Deer Isle, Maine.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree or higher and substantial fundraising experience, preferably for a land trust or conservation organization, including grants, general fund appeals, and high-capacity donor cultivation. The candidate will have outstanding interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication and the ability to both collaborate with others and work independently. Familiarity with Microsoft Office & Little Green Light or similar CRM as well as
proficiency with Adobe products such as Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, and other specialized land trust software is also desired. The candidate should also have access to reliable internet speed for remote work as needed.
DUTIES – Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and implements multi-year fundraising strategies, budgets, and reporting mechanisms for general fund appeals, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, monthly giving, and planned giving.
- Works with the ED and Development Committee to implement capital campaigns.
- Researches donors, foundations, and grant programs, and develops donor relations in support of overall fundraising objectives and to encourage increased giving.
- Develops, strengthens, and maintains relationships with donors and grant makers.
- Identifies, applies for, and secures grant funding from foundations and other entities as agreed upon with ED. Follow through with grant reports and communication with grantors.
- Manages gift entry, acknowledgement correspondence, donor record updates in Little Green Light (CRM).
- Ensures all donor acknowledgments are prompt, thoughtful, and meet all IRS and Accreditation requirements.
- Maintains database to ensure integrity and accuracy of constituent records, and manages and generates reports and analysis.
Outreach and Public Relations:
- Writes and develops print, online, and social media outreach materials, donor communications, and media relations in collaboration with fellow staff.
- Prepares material in a timely fashion allowing for considered review and timely publishing.
- Plans and coordinates outreach and special events, and provides information on and promotes IHT programs, plans, and policies to the IHT community, other organizations, and the media in collaboration with fellow staff.
Board & Committee Support:
- Coordinates Staff and Board relationships with donors to ensure communications and interactions move forward with a singular, coordinated purpose.
- Prepares documents and reports for the committees and board as requested.
- Participates in Development Committee meetings, and others as needed.
- Ensures development and implementation of fundraising policies and procedures to qualify IHT for LTA accreditation.
Submit a cover letter (including salary requirement), resume, and three references with contact information in one document (PDF) for immediate consideration.
Applications can be submitted by email, or by mail to contact information below. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. For questions, or more information contact:
Julia Zell, Executive Director
Island Heritage Trust
PO Box 42, Deer Isle, ME 04627
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.