Max’s list of species priorities for Deer Isle
Eastern white pine
Northern white cedar*
*Animal browse risk
Things to look for
on your woodlot
l. Site quality
2. Species composition
3. Stand density.
4. Distribution of “crop” trees (commercial value or
5. Crown conditions.
6. Developing regeneration.
7. Anticipated vegetation dynamics.
8. Convenient access.
9. Amenity values.
10. Environmental considerations.
Campbell's Cove Became Gray's Cove
By Bill Haviland, IHT Trustee
of the Island Heritage Trust’s more popular
preserves is the Reach
Gray’s Cove. But Gray’s Cove wasn’t always called that; originally
it was Campbell’s Cove and the land to the south, now Oak Point, was called
The original name comes from John Campbell (1730-1820), a native of Arglyshire
in Scotland who came to Deer Isle around 1780 and settled on the Reach. He
was not the first to do so for as early as 1753, just before the start of the
of the French and Indian wars, William Greenlaw (also from Scotland) with his
family moved onto 500 acres that stretched between what later would be called
Torrey’s Mill Pond and Campbell’s Neck. Because the Greenlaws had
Tory sympathies during the American Revolution, they found it expedient to flee
to New Brunswick in Canada after the war. Not until some years later did some
of William’s descendants return to the island, and then to Oceanville.
John Campbell acquired some of the Greenlaw lands and then some; large for
the time, his holdings took in Campbell Island (on which IHT has an easement)
of what is now called Oak Point, and the lands north to beyond the junction
of the Fish Creek and Reach roads, and west nearly to the junction of Fish
and Greenlaw District Roads.
In all, this amounted to something on the order of 460 acres. His homestead
stood until nearly the end of the 20th Century at Poplar Point at the end of
road now called Alberta Lane. By then, it had fallen into such disrepair that
the Deer demolished it
Isle Fire Department as a means of practicing firefighting.
Campbells continued to occupy the old homestead well into the twentieth century,
the last being John’s great grandson, Arthur. He is listed in the 1910
census as a farmer and lobster buyer. Arthur’s mother, Diana Campbell Hardy
Campbell, was herself a granddaughter of John Campbell’s daughter Sarah.
Diana’s husband, quite a bit older than she, was the son of her father’s
mother’s brother. After Arthur’s death in 1951, what was left of
the Campbell holdings, including the old homestead, passed to the Hutchinson
descendants of Diana’s daughter May, who was fathered by her mother’s
second husband, George Hatch (Hutchinson was May’s married name). Thus,
the place continued to be occupied by John Campbell’s descendants until
John Campbell’s daughter Sarah married Peter Hardy, Jr. (1770-1863), a
master mariner who, over the course of his life, served several times as selectman
and two terms in the state legislature. Although he already had a 100-acre farm – the
fourth one north of Campbell’s – John deeded to his new son-in-law
a 100-acre parcel running from the northwest shore of Campbell’s Cove westward
along the north shore of Fish Creek. Peter and Sarah never lived there, however.
Instead, they traded this parcel for the farm of Benjamin Weed (on the south
end of Little Deer ) from Weed’s Point (east to the end of Weed Point Rd.).
Peter and Sarah’s homestead stood where the McWilliams house now stands.
Eventually, Josiah Gray of Brooksville, who had married a daughter of Benjamin
Weed, acquired the farm that his father-in-law had gotten from Peter Hardy.
Together, the Grays raised thirteen children, one of whom married Silas Hardy
son of Isaac Gray who settled on Little Deer Isle some time after 1800. Among
Isaac’s neighbors were Peter Hardy and Jonathan Hardy, whose farm was where
the bridge now lands on Little Deer. Both Jonathan and Peter had sons named Silas
so obviously a close time must have existed between these Hardys and Grays.
After Josiah’s death, Silas lived in his father-in-law’s homestead
until his own death in 1882. The house still stands not far from the cove; it
is the first one on right-hand side of Oak Point Rd., south of the intersection
of Fish Creek Rd. Either Silas’ wife’s mother and father are said
to be buried behind the house. With Josiah and then Silas in residence there,
the cove lost the original name and became Gray’s Cove as we know it today.
420 Sunset Road ~ Deer Isle, Maine
Mail: P.O. Box 42 / Deer Isle, ME 04627